5 Organizations Focused on Educating Africa’s Children

0

 

Africa is widely considered to be the most impoverished continent in the world despite vast natural and untapped resources, including over 60% of the world’s arable land. Economic inequity, high unemployment and lack of adequate healthcare all go hand-in-hand with poor educational opportunities and poverty. Other factors are also at play, political unrest and natural catastrophes such as famine. All of the above are worthy causes and deserve the world’s attention and assistance.  Educating Africa’s children, the most fundamental natural resource is a cornerstone to building a nation and future free from poverty.

Most people can name the titans of philanthropy and global organizations dedicated to the protection and education of children. Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, UNICEF, Children International to name three.

  • The Gates Foundation – was responsible for approximately 71% of the United States’ grant funding to Africa in 2012 with all other organization combined to measure the other 29% of 1.5 billion dollars allocated. $46,342,624 went directly to education. {Africa Grantmakers’ Affinity Group 2015}
  • UNICEF – supports several initiatives in Africa including the Sudan (eLearning), Ethiopia (Accelerated School Readiness Program) and Ghana (Community Run Play Schemes).
  • Children International – focuses on educational programs in support of United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) for 2030 which calls for inclusive and equitable quality education and promotes lifelong learning opportunities.

At the opposite end of the scale, there are hundreds of organizations with the same heroic and lofty goals but without the global cache. Organizations that are not household names. Organizations that understand the foundational impacts of educating Africa’s children and the vision of a future free of poverty.

Here are 5 Organizations Focused on Educating Africa’s Children

African Children’s Educational Trust (A-CET)is a charity focused on education specifically in Ethiopia. A-CET provides scholarships, financial assistance, clothing and school supplies to those in need. “The foundation for all development needs to be education and this is our mission at A-CET – to educate Africans and let them develop Africa.” David Stables, A-CET.

Develop Africaprovides books, school supplies, teaching supplies and scholarships primarily to West African nations such as Sierra Leone, Cameroon, and Liberia. Develop Africa believes in, “…transformational education…human resource development is the key to improving nation-building capacity in Africa.”

EdUKaid is a small charity operating in Tanzania. EdUKaid approaches education through the improvement of school facilitates and resources, providing pre-primary schooling and individual child sponsorship.

Reading Hamlets – is a, “…non-profit organization led by women, dedicated to ending the cycle of poverty through literacy, by providing books to children, with a special emphasis on girls, living in low-income areas in rural Nigeria.” Reading Hamlets focuses on literacy, providing access to books and creating libraries in both schools and hospitals.

RIPPLE Africa – operates in Malawi with the very specific focus of addressing the educational (and environmental) issues concerning the village of Mwaya in the Nkhata Bay District.

3 points that you should take away from this discussion

  1. The basic mission and vision for all these organizations are the same.
  2. Illiteracy based poverty is an epidemic on the African continent.
  3. Poverty can be irradiated through the education of Africa’s most prized natural resource, its children.

Do you have a favorite charity supporting children’s education in Africa that you would like to recognize?

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here